Sunday, December 14, 2008

Emmanuel -- God with Us

Emmanuel...God with us.

This weekend we sang "Jesus Messiah" during the worship set and every time we would sing the "Blessed Redeemer, Emmanuel"...I immediately translated to "God with Us" in my mind...the next lines, "the Rescue for sinners...the Ransom from Heaven" I couldn't help but think that God is WITH us...He is the God Who is WITH us to rescue us from sin...the God Who is WITH us, Who paid our Ransom. He is WITH US...not some aloof god who is housed in temples or statues or is said to be in the wind or the earth. Psalm 46:1-3 kind of sums up why these couple of lines from a simple worship song has resonated with me this weekend.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling."

God should be our refuge and our strength...because He is a very PRESENT help in trouble. So often, I find myself trying to rely on me or Jeff for some kind of refuge or strength. Although, I realize that God designed marriage to be a source of refuge and strength it is not the omnipresent, omnipotent, or omniscience refuge and strength of our God.

For the past couple of days I have prayed that the LORD would show up in unexpected ways in my life and that I would recognize it. This morning He showed up and I am grateful for the grace that allowed the eyes of my heart to see it.

Thank you, LORD for your faithfulness. My Emmanuel...God with us.

No comments: